1963 Lancia Flaminia Sport 3C 2.8 by Zagato
- Correct and original triple-carb, 2.8-litre engine
- One of 33 examples in this configuration
- Well-maintained older restoration; recently serviced
Following Lancia’s reorganisation in 1955, the Flaminia line was introduced as the successor to the legendary Aurelia. It entered production in 1957 and not only employed an updated version of the DeVirgilio V-6 and rear-mounted transaxle but also adopted an unequal-length double-wishbone front suspension to replace the sliding pillar front suspension Lancia had used since the 1922 Lambda. These modifications endowed the Flaminia with refinement and poise and served as the basis for a broad model range. In addition to the factory-built berlina, Flaminias also were available as a coupé from Pinin Farina, as the GT and GT Convertible from Touring, and in the form of a more sporting variant from Zagato.
The alloy-bodied Flaminia Sport debuted at the 1958 Turin Auto Show in 2.5-litre, 119-brake horsepower form, and it was one of Zagato’s most successful designs of the era, as it featured the carrozzeria’s classic rakish lines and double-bubble roof. Although production records are less than perfectly reliable, after an initial run of approximately 99 examples with faired-in covered headlights, the design was modified to accommodate the open vertical headlights, as seen here. In 1961, the 2.5-litre engine was updated with three Weber double-downdraft carburettors, increasing brake horsepower to 140, and in 1963, an enlarged triple-carb, 2.8-litre engine saw power increase to 150 brake horsepower. With its lighter weight, better aerodynamics, and longer final drive, the 2.8 3C Sport is a capable long-distance tourer.
Although not intended as an all-out racer, the Flaminia Sport saw some competition success in the hands of privateers, including overall victories at the 1960 and 1963 Coppa Intereuropa, class wins at the 1962 and 1963 Targa Florio, and a 2nd place finish on the 1961 Mille Miglia, an event that was regularly run at the time.
Chassis number 132-1013 is the 13th of 33 open-headlight Flaminia Sports with the desirable 3C 2.8-litre engine. Although Zagato built a total of 70 Sports (type 826.132) between 1963 and 1964, they later converted 37 of the cars to 2.8 3C SuperSport (type 826.232) specification, leaving only 33 in the original configuration.
This Lancia was originally sold to Dr Ursula Rohr-Dietschi in Solothurn, Switzerland, and registered on 26 November 1963. In August 1971, it was purchased from Dr Rohr-Dietschi by Dieter Storck, a Zurich architect. In the mid-1980s, it was acquired by B. Oppenheim Exclusive Automobiles, which sent the car to Bolzano and Grosseto in Italy for extensive mechanical and cosmetic work. Copies of the records and receipts reflect a full engine rebuild and complete restoration of the electrical system, as well as a complete strip and repaint of the original blue to its current silver metallic colour and a complete revision to the interior upholstery and carpets.
In 1985, the current owner, of Zollikon, Switzerland, acquired the car, and between 1990 and 1995, he had further mechanical and bodywork performed, which included the installation of a new exhaust system, brake and clutch work, and a body and interior restoration, where the body was re-sprayed in metallic silver and the interior was re-upholstered in dark red leather. Since then, the car has enjoyed regular and thorough maintenance, with extensive records being kept for the service and restoration of the carburettors, the fuel system, the heating system, the brake system, and regular service items. The Lancia has recently been driven by an RM Sotheby’s specialist, and she confirms that it starts up immediately and drives and handles beautifully on the open road.
This is a grand touring car in the genuine sense, as it is very comfortable and highly usable for numerous driving events.