1963 Aston Martin DB5
Documents: Swiss Carte Grise
- The very first production factory left-hand-drive DB5 saloon
- Originally delivered to racing driver Peter Lindner
- Formerly owned by Hollywood star Nicolas Cage
- Upgraded to the desirable 4.2-litre specification
The DB5 is perhaps the one car in the world that needs no introduction. Made famous by the 1964 James Bond movie Goldfinger, the DB5 is considered by many to be the epitome of Aston Martin’s most famous era.
Lifted straight from the silver screen, the Aston Martin DB5 is virtually identical to the DB4 Series V Vantage. Aston Martin maintained the Superleggera bodywork designed by Touring of Milan, which called for aluminium panels attached to a tubular frame. The smaller 15-inch wheels that had been introduced on the Series V were retained, as were the separate rear lights. A slight change was made to the rear of the hood in order to streamline the tail into the boot for a more elegant shape. Although the spy gadgets were removed for production, the DB5 was fitted with plenty of stylish extras and upgrades.
Under the bonnet, the DB5 packed a lot more power than the previous model. The major mechanical upgrade was the inclusion of a 4.0-litre engine, which increased power output to 283 and produced top speeds of 143 mph. While the original production run offered a five-speed ZF gearbox as an optional extra, this shortly became standard, as did power windows, an alternator, and exhaust silencers. Other standard equipment included reclining seats, wool pile carpets, twin fuel tanks, chrome wire wheels, an oil cooler, full leather trim in the cabin, and a fire extinguisher. Fast, luxurious, and elegant, it is easy to see why James Bond looked so at home in the Aston Martin DB5.
The DB5 on offer today is the very first saloon chassis off the production line and is one of few factory left-hand-drive examples on the market. Originally exported to Germany, chassis 1301 was delivered to famed Frankfurt driver Peter Lindner, who would unfortunately perish in a motorsport accident later that year. The build record notes two additional owners and has factory service records through 1971. These records indicate a factory engine change to engine number 400/2667 in 1969 while the car remained in German ownership.
The DB5 changed hands a number of times before being exported to the United States in the mid-1970s, where it came under the care of Lance Evans, a noted Aston Martin expert and owner of Steel Wings, the well-known Aston restoration facility. It was with Evans that the car underwent its first restoration, in which work was completed on its chassis, engine, transmission, and differential.
Subsequently, the DB5 was sold in 2001, finding a new owner in Hollywood actor and avid car enthusiast Nicolas Cage. Following its time in Cage’s vaunted collection, it was further restored in 2003 by Autosports Designs. It was this most recent restoration in which the engine was increased to the desirable 4.2-litre displacement. Modern air conditioning and stereo units have been added for comfort and carefully hidden as to not disturb the original charm. Exterior Lucas fog lamps have been added for extra safety, and chassis number DB5/1301/L is currently finished in Silver Birch with a stunning black interior. It is offered with a copy of the original build sheet.
As the favoured car of international spies for over 60 years, an Aston Martin DB5 has a place in every car collection. The first of its kind, DB5/1301/L stands alone as one of the greatest.