1965 Lancia Flavia Sport by Zagato
Documents: Italian Libretto
- One of 594 examples produced
- Retains its correct and original engine
- Prepared for competition use by Carlo Facetti
- Excellent example for the Monte Carlo Historique
The 1961 introduction of Lancia’s new front-wheel-drive Flavia range continued the next year with the development of the Zagato-built Sport. The Ercole Spada-designed Sport was significantly lighter than other Flavia models by virtue of its alloy body, and it also featured panoramica rear quarter windows that wrapped into the roof, giving the model a distinctive, idiosyncratic look. The concave rear window was hinged at the top and actuated by an electric motor, which opened a few centimetres for improved ventilation, and the sloping rear deck ended in a raked tail.
In 1963, the Sport’s 1,500-cubic centimetre, dual-carburettor flat-four was enlarged to 1,800 cubic centimetres. Unlike the other models in the Flavia line, whose single-carburettor arrangement produced 92 brake horsepower, the Sport’s engine retained dual carburetors, which saw its power increase to 100 brake horsepower and then 105 brake horsepower, with competition-tuned units making 130 brake horsepower.
In the decade following the 1955 reorganisation, Lancia’s competition efforts consisted of factory support for the “gentlemen drivers” of the HF Squadra Corse. Organised by Cesare Fiorio, son of Lancia’s PR director, the privateer Squadra and the tuning firms that supported its efforts would become the core of Lancia’s competition department when the factory returned to racing in 1965. Whilst the more-numerous Pininfarina-built Flavia Coupé saw competition using engines similar to the Sport, the lighter weight of the Sport made it well suited for hill climbs and rallies, as well as circuit racing.
This Sport Zagato, chassis number 001403, was first sold to Lionello Foresta in Padova and registered on 6 July 1965 as PD 146682, which it still retains. It was sold to Augusto Pasquin on 9 August 1968, then to Carlo Pavan on 8 July 1986, and subsequently, to Maurizio Ambrogetti on 10 December 1999.
In 1990, chassis number 1403 was converted to competition specifications by Carlo Facetti, who decades earlier had prepared competition Flavia Sports for the Reparto Corse. Facetti prepared this example using correct components and materials, and as such, the engine puts out an additional 25–30 horsepower over the original 105. Its alloy body was also the subject of a lengthy restoration, which included taking it down to bare metal prior to being repainted. Although the car was prepared for competition, it never raced, meaning that the Facetti Elaborazione engine, fitted with larger carburettors, is as-new, as is the close-ratio gearbox and competition differential.
Recent recommissioning work included an overhaul of the braking system, with new hoses installed and the master cylinder and wheel callipers being rebuilt; a new water pump installed; and an overhaul of the fuel system, including its carburettors. A new full set of correct Pirelli 165x15 tyres has been mounted, including on a new spare wheel. The electrical system has recently been checked, and the engine compartment has been nicely detailed.
This rare and correct competition-prepared Sport is an excellent candidate for the circuit or for such vintage car events as the Monte Carlo Historique.