1931 Packard 840 Deluxe Eight Convertible Coupe
- Well-preserved older restoration
- Long-legged gears for touring
- CCCA Full Classic
The Packard Motor Car Company introduced its Eighth Series cars on August 14, 1930. Manifolds and valves from the 1930s Speedster engine had been adopted across the board, resulting in a horsepower boost to 120 on the 384.8-cubic inch “Senior” Deluxe models.
The deepening Depression took its toll; while more than 6,000 Deluxe Eights had been produced in the 1930 model year, only 2,016 were built for 1931, nearly three-quarters of them before the end of the 1930 calendar.
This Deluxe Eight Convertible Coupe was delivered new by the renowned Earle C. Anthony distributorship in Los Angeles, and it is believed to have been on the West Coast for most of its life. Early collector Nathan Derus found the car outside a garage in Venice, California, then-owned by Herb Wildman, in the late-1960s. It was restored several years later by Hal Orchard, of Santa Ana, California, and later, in the 1980s, it had its engine rebuilt by respected engineer Eric Rosenau. During the restoration, the rear axle was fitted with 3.54:1 gears to facilitate modern traffic and long-distance touring.
Tastefully painted in light and dark grey, the car is accented by red wire wheels, dual side-mounts, and whitewall tires. The black leather interior coordinates nicely with the exterior motif, further set off by handsome burl wood grain on the dashboard and window trim. Directional signals have been discreetly fitted for safety on the road.
Recognized as a Full Classic by the Classic Car Club of America, this Packard is eligible for all club activities and CARavan tours. A nice example of the 1931 Series 840, it will also be in demand for concours d’elegance and events of all kinds.