20-21 January 2011
1961 Aston Martin DB4 Coupe
$175,000 - $225,000
- A desirable original Series II RHD example
- Tuned and recently fitted with new battery, exhaust, wheels and tires
In 1956, Aston Martin began development of the all-new DB4, which debuted at the London Motor Show during the autumn of 1958. Not only did it set the tone of Aston Martin styling for years to come, the DB4 also heralded an updated engine designed by Tadek Marek, whose name became synonymous with Aston Martin engineering.
The DOHC DB4 engine displaced 3,670 cc, was entirely constructed from aluminum and produced 240 bhp in standard tune with its dual SU carburetors. While its technical specifications were certainly impressive, the new 3.7-liter “six” most importantly provided a platform for further development and continued, with various displacements and power ratings, through mid-1973.
Aston Martin turned to Milanese design firm Carrozzeria Touring for its Superleggera (super light) body design, comprising a lightweight yet strong framework of small-diameter tubes cloaked in aluminum panels. The chassis, designed by Harold Beach, was both simpler in design and more rigid than that of its predecessors, using a new pressed-steel platform frame. Four-wheel Dunlop (later Girling) disc brakes enhanced the DB4’s proficiency on the road, which yielded top speeds of some 140 mph. Today, the DB4 continues to hold the distinction of being the first production car capable of travelling from 0-100-0 mph in less than 30 seconds. In short, the DB4 is a landmark model that squarely placed Aston Martin back on equal footing with Ferrari and Maserati, its main Italian archrivals.
Indeed, Aston Martin had moved from strength to strength throughout the 1950s and into the 1960s, with the DB4 playing a crucial role in this success. In 1958, Britain’s Prince Philip awarded Aston Martin his Royal Warrant of Appointment, and in 1959, the marque took overall victory at Le Mans, with Carroll Shelby and Roy Salvadori behind the wheel of the mighty DBR1 sports racer.
The current owner acquired this right-hand drive 1961 DB4 coupe in 2006 and prior to that, it had been in Japan for a number of years, where it saw little use as part of a private automobile collection. Today, it shows about 79,800 miles and in its current ownership, it has been fitted with a new battery, a new stainless steel exhaust system, new and correct 16-inch wire wheels, and a new set of period correct Blockley DOT-approved road/competition tires with competition inner tubes, which allow trouble-free high-speed road use. The DB4 was resprayed at one point in time in its original silver mink color and the interior sports black upholstery and a grey headliner.
The car was recently tuned and with its tall final-drive ratio, offers effortless and very enjoyable high-speed cruising capabilities. Four-wheel power power-assisted disc brakes at all four corners ensure confidence-inspiring braking capability. Complete with a copy of the original build sheet and a set of reproduction period fog lamps, this DB4 is a high quality, well-maintained and immensely drivable example.
Please contact our exclusive automotive transportation partner, Reliable Carriers, for a shipping quote or any other information on the transport of this vehicle.